Sunday 3 November 2019

Book Review: The House on the Lake by Nuala Ellwood

Thank you to Netgalley for the advance copy of The House on the Lake by Nuala Ellwood, coming February 2020.

No matter where you run... he's never far behind.


The book follows the story of Lisa, who is on the run from London to Yorkshire with her little boy Joe, and ends up staying in quite possibly the creepiest house in the history of the world. We also follow the story of Grace, a thirteen-year-old who grew up in that very same house several years before with her father. She was completely cut off from the rest of the world and tells us her strange and compelling story through the form of a diary.

The first thing I loved about this book is the presence of the two strong female leads, who are so different to one another, but completely determined to fight back against the men who control them and get what they want and deserve. I found myself desperate to learn what the link was between these two women, and when it was finally revealed, I was shocked. I did not see the plot twist coming. At all.

Despite these amazing female characters, I want to point out is this isn't one of those books where all the men are evil. There are some really positive male characters in the book so please don't be put off by the comment about the controlling men.

The House on the Lake epitomises the phrase "page-turner" and the alternating perspectives coupled with short and snappy chapters was the reason I've lost a LOT of sleep over the past three days. It's creepy. It's chilling. I've never checked my locks so many times as I did last night. The House on the Lake will give you a creeping sense of unease and if you love a thriller, you will not be disappointed.

I was really pleased to find a copy of My Sister's Bones by Nuala on my bookshelf, which has fast-tracked its way very near to the top of my TBR pile. Don't you just love finding a new favourite author?

Pre-order from Waterstones or Amazon today.

Roxie

@RoxieAdelleKey

2 comments:

  1. You've just added a book to my reading list! Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meggy! Glad you enjoyed the review, and I'm sure you'll love this book :)
      Roxie

      Delete